Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's the Little Things

I was in full-swing lunch prep mode when my gaze settled on the lemon tree outside the kitchen window (see below).  That is a plant holder dangling from the lower branches, and a tricycle precariously strewn beneath.  What you cannot see are the countless balls and water bazookas on the fringes of the crime scene.  One of two things was going on.  Either my tree was going to make the cover of Weird, But True for growing citrus of an unusual variety, or little-boy mischief was at play.  I'm a quick study--I chose the latter and corralled the troops for an interrogation.  I can always count on my eldest to be truthful, even if he makes five excuses while making his case.  Joshua has the uncanny ability to lie with a face straighter than a laser beam.  Sammy?  He doesn't make any attempt to hide his guilt, but he will charm the socks off you while his hands are still in the cookie jar.  By process of elimination, I chose James as my first witness.  "We were experimenting with ways to get the bees away from the tree!"  It sounded plausible.  I asked him to please remove the ironwork from the branches and refrain from any further abuse to tree or bees alike.  Then I launched into a monologue about the birds and the bees.  Just kidding about the birds.  As I settled back into my quesadilla flipping, it occurred to me that a lemon tree will never look the same to me again--or at least I hope not.  After all, lemon trees are for throwing bulky projectiles in order to banish an Apis mellifera population.

Thus, the blog inspiration: It's The Little Things.  My days are full to the brim of opportunities to chuckle at the absurdity and beauty of childhood antics.  Today I chose to capture the little moments--the ones that I usually pass by at 10 mph on my way to the next task--and appreciate them for whey are, because I fear that seven years down the road I may never see another plant holder dangling from the branches of my lemon tree.        


Samuel's Attempt To Find His Race Driver Suit

A Profile of Utter Concentration

Dog & Boy

Teamwork

Racer Sammy Requesting A Daniel Session

Domino Effect

Comparison Studies
(snacktime banana to a true-to-size dinosaur tooth--their idea entirely)
 
Samuel's Toothbrushing Crime Scene

 James, Further Delving Into Our Lunchtime Read-Aloud

Grammas Who Play Kickball

Vintage Comic Book Readings

Naps In Gramma's Arms

Here's to the little things and the smiles they bring.



No comments:

Post a Comment