Thursday, June 21, 2012

James Turns 7


Seven years ago, our first born came squalling in to the world one week early, hurtling us into the ranks of parenthood.  He was ten pounds even, with shoulders like a linebacker, and looked remarkably like a Whipple, though unmistakably had the eyes of a Haven.  In those first days, we couldn't have imagined the boy he would be today.  I suppose that's the beauty of how this life unfolds--minute by minute, day by day, year by year.  Seven years.  He has the quiet, thoughtful way of his father, and the fiery temper of his mother (sorry about that one, Son).  He has also inherited the "foodie gene," as we like to call it.  One wouldn't have known during his first six years of life, as his diet consisted of the most basic, redundant list of foods.  But as his allergic intolerance has diminished over the past year, his taste for the unexpected has emerged.  This brings me to his seventh birthday.  The menu took precedent.  For breakfast, he chose English Muffin breakfast pizzas and tangerine juice.  When thinking this one out the night prior, he requested that I write it down so as not to forget it by morning.  Yes, we foodies take our vittles that seriously.


Breakfast Pizza...Joshua's Cheese-Free Version (a professed "non foodie")

Papa's Morning Birthday Message

After a late morning swim, we headed to Sprouts for our weekly grocery shopping...which is where meal 2 comes into play.  James is forever sticking his head in to the pots of soup when we round the deli corner, so I thought it would be fun for him to pick out a bowl for his lunchtime birthday meal.  Both he and Joshua chose the cream of potato and bacon soup (by the way--it was 110 outside--a small matter to a foodie where taste buds are concerned), and we "picnicked" in the Sprouts foyer, with our soup, a side of apricots (absolutely devoid of flavor--I am ruined by the fresh apricot tree of my childhood home), and chocolate milk.  


Seven Year-Old Sized Cannon Ball

Sammy "Swimming," on the Second Step


Joshua, Mid-Lesson (See Video Next)


In His Zone with Cream of Potato Soup and a Lackluster Apricot

Cart Surfing
 (Note: this move is not approved by the National Association of Grocery Cart Makers)

For our final epicurean adventure of the night, we had mud pie.  Yes, there was a pasta salad thrown in, with sparkling lemonade, but that was beside the point.  We had been planning our mud pie for weeks.  The picture makes it looks a bit like mush, but what can you expect when the temperature radiating through the walls of the home reads in the triple digits?  That, and I learned my lesson about leaving it out in the efforts of letting it soften before carving.  Not necessary, apparently.  It was homemade, from the Oreo cookie crust to the fudge sauce topping.  The pictures are evidence of how well it went over.  Oh, yes--and there was slip-and-sliding prior to the meal.  That hose water felt so good in the blazing breath of early evening, I almost indulged in a belly slide of my own.  Almost.  


Appetizer: Chips with Sour Cream & Dill Dip
I taught him this move.
I hope they make a version with FOUR runways!
(following is a video from a few days previous)


7 Year-Olds Are For Hugging

Ever Contemplative


Notice the neat-o colored flame candles?  I'm trying to distract you from the mess on the plate...

Big Dreams

I hope he didn't learn this move from me...

Birthdays Are About Forgetting the Rules

Before you go and give me any credit for having my act together as a mother, let me give you a little insight into the state of my house on this special celebratory day (see below). What can I say?  I needed a nap more than I needed an organized living room.  Not pictured: the bathrooms.  To do those justice, you would need a scratch-and-sniff feature on your monitor.  So, here you have the proof--there is nothing extra-human or super mom about me.  And I am rather proud to admit it.  We invested in the boy today...not the house.


The Living Room: Well "lived in," wouldn't you say?
The Family Room

Presents, presents.  What birthday would be complete without them, in a child's mind anyhow?  Thank you family--near and far--for your thoughtful contributions, whether by phone or mail.  


7 Year-Old Sized Bag


Dragons! (Thank you Gramma & Grampa!) 

Thank You, Uncle Chris!

Shift Supervisor...Nothing Gets Past Him

Tickle Torture

New Game: Battleship...an Epic Pre-Bed Battle

And that about wraps up James' seventh year celebration...almost.  As you see, we didn't "party" in the traditional way.  Our day was a simple one on all accounts.  Instead, we chose to take the boys to Medieval Times on Sunday for a Father's Day/ seventh birthday adventure.  In short, it is "dinner theater," featuring competing knights, spectacular horsemanship, and medieval fare.  The arena is breathtaking, and the boys were in, well, boy heaven.  Our days following were filled with three Haven knights, jousting and dueling to the death in our saltillo hallway.  I only regret I didn't get a picture of all three in their knightly attire, complete with wooden daggers and swords.  What can I say, except that Mama's trigger finger got tired.  

Choosing Their Lances...they wish


There is a real person in the armor! (not really)

Love These Frescos

Weaponry...SWEET!

B-E-A-U-tiful Show Horses...Can They Perform!

Happy Father's Day to You!

Birthday Boy

The Red Knight
The Yellow Knight

Awestruck...The Blue Knight


The Arena...my flash is no match for the vast space

The Knights!

The Announcer (million dollar voice)

The Black and White Knight (represented our section)

James' 2012 birthday...that's a wrap.             


No comments:

Post a Comment