Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Uncles and Aunties

The title of this post is misleading, because I am only talking about one uncle and one auntie, but the plural version just rolled off the tongue a little better.  Or maybe I am not in my right mind, being that it was 118 degrees today.  118!  When Matt got into his Corolla oven at 6 p.m., his thermostat read 122.  He  toasted to a golden hue by the time he rolled into the driveway.  By then, the cabin had cooled to a comfortable 105.  I wouldn't know, first hand, because I only braved the great outdoors/ backyard for a quick thirty minute power cleaning/ ant spraying session at 6:30 a.m.  I stayed behind closed doors and thermal curtains for the remainder of the day, rigging pull-up bars and devising ball games to keep the monkeys exercised.  But, I did my part for the power grid by sweating it out at a steady 80 degrees.  Truly--it is a bit of a sacrifice because I end the day with a shiny face and otherwise sticky exterior, but I have to do my part to avoid any blackouts, no thanks to the nincompoops who run their thermostats at 65 degrees, 24 hours a day.  My plan in such an event (a blackout) is to brave the house until it is unbearable, then don a swimsuit with the crew and hit the in-laws' pool for as long as necessary.  Wait a minute...where am I?  Wasn't I supposed to be talking about aunties and uncles?  Beware--you are witnessing the dangers of heat exposure.  OR, it could just be third trimester pregnancy brain...but that's for another post or a different paragraph.

Auntie Bonnie and Uncle Chris visited over the last two weeks, in respective order.  Auntie B, affectionately dubbed "Auntie Varmint," came first, engaging in puzzle play and endless varmint- hunting sessions with the boys, and then found the time to help Big Sis with book-genre categorization projects and other nesting-inspired to-dos.  She is pure genius as a teacher, engaging the boys in ways that only a natural can.  Few have her gift; she can capture a moment and hold their attention like no one I know...outside of Gramma.  The apple did not fall far from the tree in that regard.  It is pure sacrifice on her part to bless us with her presence and talents for a week of her precious short school vacation...and to be woken at the crack of dawn by six pattering feet.  There is no rest for the weary in this house, or for popular varmints like Auntie B.

Cucamonga Guastic Regional Park in Ontario:
A stretch break after picking up Auntie B at the airport


Samuel promptly declared himself Auntie B's BFF



They gravitational pull of water and weaponry for boys is inexplicable

I came unprepared for water 
Totally unprepared...hence the see-through white boxer briefs.  We could have been cited for indecent exposure.

Sweet Lil' Joshua--a wee bit shivery
Joshy in Sammy's shorts...Sammy in the one extra pair of undies I found in the van.
We had to get creative in the clothes department, thanks to the impromptu water session.
Our next stop at Ontario Mills Mall.  We had to buy a shirt for Joshy and shorts for Sammy, since they were SOAKED
Awed by the surrounding jungle.  It's truly jaw-dropping.  Throughout the meal, different parts of the jungle "come alive," and the animals hoot n' holler, the plants shake, etc.  Totally awesome.  My easiest meal-out ever!
Gorilla in Residence
Loudest Jungle Resident
Mutant Butterfly
Tanks flank the entry--beautiful!
Happy He's Fake!
First time on the jumpy-thingy
High Flyer
James was sure that he would be doing flips, but the view from on top changed his mind.

Tireless Reader
Civic Center Pond
One of many puzzles...Auntie B stocked up for her classroom

Water Balloons!
Auntie B laboriously filled an entire cooler full, in the middle of the day...without shade.  

Is it just me, or are my kids in their undies most of the time?
Run, Auntie B, RUUUUN!
A Happy Crew

Uncle Chris lucked out by coming the following week because he scored the first-ever guest bed, thanks to a set of bunk beds going up in the big boys' rooms that weekend.  Aside from sleeping across the room from Littlest Nephew, he was able to get a few extra minutes of shut-eye behind a closed door in the early a.m. hours.  He deserved at least that because he spent most of the week either swimming and slip-n-sliding with rambunctious boys or closeted in the house with sicky me.  Yes, I was stricken by some upper respiratory bug that infuriatingly sidelined my house projects this week.  Well, not all of my projects.  The one BIG project came as a result of fabulous Fourth of July appliance sales.  Out with the old (our 12 year-old fridge whose sealing leaked more air than it retained), and in with the new (GINORMOUS 31 cubic foot LG).  I decided that it did not make any sense to get something smaller, because it would mean having to resurrect Sir Leaks A Lot in the garage in the near future.  I could fit a small boy in the freezer, not that I am giving them this idea, mind you. Thankfully, it already has enough food in it to avoid any creative antics such as that.  It has taken a little getting used to because of its imposing nature.  Tall and wide, tall and wide/ There's an LG standin' tall and wide (sung to the tune of Deep and Wide).  It is already a serious undertaking, stocking enough food twice/ week to feed four growing boys (yes, I am already counting #4--you should see how much food I can throw back these days!).  I cannot fathom how much more I will need in five year's time.  And since I am pretty good at Tetris, I plan on having a solo fridge for quite some time.  Famous last words.  Any bets on how many years before I have to buy a deep freeze?

Boys in Bunk Beds--Nighttime Reading
Reading Fort (under Joshy's bunk)
I cannot remember at the moment why he had a black "sock glove" on...

Ah, yes--Uncle Chris.  He's a saint.  Because of his muscly stature, he is a natural target for random attacks by fierce knights or simply mischievous nephews.  We had to set a few guidelines now and again to protect the poor guy. Oh, and Chai almost jumped into his luggage, she loved him so for walking her every morning.  I have long since hung up the reins from running our sled dog, thanks to the special circumstances of pregnancy.  Her random freak-out sessions at a flock of birds or, heaven-forbid, the occasional hot air balloon, could put me into labor for the effort it takes to restrain her from running frantic.  Nope!  Not for me--not right now, anyway.  I leave that to the muscly uncles.  So, I thank you, Uncle Chris, for your endless patience with boys and dog alike...wait...boys and dog and sister alike.  Let's face it--visiting a sick house with a third trimester sister is no walk in Bidwell Park.

Getting into the Groove...Taking His Time


Who needs sliding when you can HOP?! 
I love this one...James' enthusiasm is palpable
Biggest Kid
Baby Slides
Krinkle Block Session
Fourth of July Root Beer Floats
Chlorine + Summer Sun + No Hair Cut = Fourth of July Firecracker Hair
"This is YUMMY" (Samuel's highest compliment these days)
Sparklers...might I add that these make a serious lot of smoke?
I only mention this because fireworks are illegal in our county 

This dimpled smile harkens back to his toddler days--Big Sis remembers 
Trying out a fountain firework--Doesn't LOOK too big...How bad can it be?
(Note: hose is on standby) 
No big deal!
Pretty cool!  Come a little closer, kids!
Holy COW!  Fireman Chris to the rescue!  We didn't plan on the pyrotechnic fire bursts.
That was our last firework of the night, but the boys loved it.  Each little burst made quite the BANG,
and they loved running into the house to hide from any possible police citations.  : )



1 comment:

  1. How is it that I missed this post and am only now seeing it??
    Oh Sis, you've captured these summer adventures beautifully in word and photos! What terrific fun I had with your family....I adore my lil nephews ever so much! I can hardly wait to see what next summer brings. Affectionately, Auntie Varmint ;)

    ReplyDelete