Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chimpanzee

It must have been the midday nap that got my gears turning, but I decided that the big boys and I would celebrate the completion of our school year with a mama/ big boy date night to the movies.  Our morning consisted of a romp at the Living Desert, followed by a swim lesson at the pool.  By all accounts, I should be comatose by now.  Power naps ROCK.  So do husbands who are game for spontaneous plans by wifeys.  Matt was on Samuel duty.  Really--an occasion like this was momentous--not only did we get to take in a feature-length film with just one potty break, but we were able to hit the food court for turkey dogs on sticks, lemonade, and gelato.  Such a smorgasbord would have been unthinkable even a year ago.  I am a foodie, you could say, so finally being able to make some special food memories with the boys is just...beyond words (even if the food memory was no more than a Westfield food court).  : )  

The movie was Chimpanzee, by Disney (trailer linked below). I am blogging to say, you absolutely must go and see this film if you haven't already.  Just bear with my enthusiasm, if you have.  And forgive me while I rant about the previews featuring sex-ridden and otherwise inappropriate themes for 4-6 year-old eyes.  I mean--we bought tickets to watch a movie about a monkey, for crying out loud!

Disney's "Chimpanzee"

I have never viewed an animal documentary film that was as well edited as this one.  The story they were able to weave through their painstaking camera work was nothing short of brilliant.  It revolves around the life of a baby chimpanzee they affectionately name Oscar, in the heart of the African rainforest, along with his extended chimp family.  Their daily quest is to find sustenance and to ward off threatening attacks by a rival chimpanzee group who desires their highly coveted nut tree grove.  Sadly, Oscar's mom is injured in a rival run-in, and then assumed killed after not returning to the pack in the weeks to follow.  And the story that follows, which I will not spoil for those of you who have not already seen it, takes on an incredibly touching twist that is better seen than explained.

The themes that spring from this film are numerous and powerful.  And I blog, more than anything, because I wanted to remember the special conversations we shared on the car ride home--the parallels drawn between Oscar's life in community and our life in community.  I am forever blown away by the insight of these little souls--they are capable of such depth, even at their tender ages. We explored our Biblical admonitions to "care for orphans," both in the literal sense, and in the sense of reaching out to the disenfranchised in our circles.  We spoke about the damaging repercussions of our territorial nature, as well as the positive ripple effects that occur when one person (or chimpanzee) shows unprecedented compassion.  The chimpanzee tribe also demonstrates the importance of investing time and care into one another, lest they fracture as a group and fall into discord.  As people, we could take a few tips from their tic-picking community grooming habits...

Time is evaporating before my eyes...Come fall, we will have a second-grader, a kindergartener, a preschooler, and an infant.  Tonight, being able to reflect, look ahead, and then celebrate the accomplishments of our school year was priceless.

Now, go see Chimpanzee!   : )

No comments:

Post a Comment