Sunday, January 29, 2012

Profile Silhouettes




James: Profile Silhouette

Joshua

Samuel

Aren't they sweet???  It's harder than it looks, although fairly easy in theory.  A close homeschool friend had this project idea up her sleeve for our group art day.  One person held the flashlight on the subject, while the subject sat as still as possible (the "harder than it looks" part).  Then, the other person madly traced in white chalk on the dark paper.  It took me three or four attempts to get an outline that even remotely resembled my sons. I must say that I'm most proud of Samuel's because sitting still was not his speciality.  I taped a turtle on the opposite wall and kept telling him to "Look at the turtle!"  When that wasn't enough, I finally let him hold the turtle, hence the bowed silhouette.  I love the baby chub neck.  It's funny how something as simple as a paper silhouette can make my heart go mush, especially when I have a library of thousands of photos that illuminate every detail of their features. I suppose the beauty is in their simplicity, and in the familiar and oh-so-precious curves of their little faces.  I hope that you can take a moment this coming Monday to find some beauty in simplicity.  We love you!  

1 comment:

  1. Fun to see the progression of their faces. What a great project and memento. KW

    ReplyDelete